Tuesday, June 15, 2010

World Cup Observations

June 14th was the two-year anniversary of my Dad's death. The World Cup reminds me of him. He always said it was his most reliable soporific(though he always enjoyed watching his grandsons play).

I'm one of the few Americans my age who actually played the game as a youth, but I don't remember Dad ever attending a game. He may have been there, but since he worked swing shift at the factory he was often sleeping or working during the day. I know he was a lot more enthusiastic about my basketball games, even when I was playing in a rec league in high school. But I digress.

I watch a lot of sports, but there are a few aspects of the WC that make it a truly unique experience.

1) Close enough
In soccer approximations frequently come into play.

Ball out of bounds? Okay, just throw it in from somewhere around in there.

How much time is left? Well, about five minutes. Only the referee really knows, and he may not have decided yet.

Was that player just fouled? Well, yeah, but his teammate got the ball so we'll just ignore it.

2) Amusing English translations
"Group of Death" sound like something kids made it up in a treehouse.

3) Stoppages of play
Compared to the primary American sports, there are almost no stoppages of play. Unlike baseball or football, it's impossible to read and watch a soccer game at the same time. It means you have to stay engaged in the game or miss one of the one or two goals that are suddenly scored. And staying engaged increases the enjoyment.

Of course, soccer ain't perfect. All the exaggerated flopping to get a call seems unabashedly European and thus, somewhat effeminate. I know this is jingoistic, but I can't help it.

So celebrate the World Cup for what it is. It's only on every four years, and has yet to be completely Americanized (in stark contrast to the Olympics).

And, Dad....enjoy your nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment